Product recommendations engines are a powerful tool that online retailers can use to increase sales and conversion rates. By making recommendations to customers based on their past purchase history or browsing behavior, retailers can encourage customers to buy items they may not have otherwise considered. Additionally, product recommendations can improve customer satisfaction and loyalty by showing that retailers value their customers and are committed to providing them with the best possible experience. Finally, product recommendations can help online retailers build brand awareness and equity by featuring products prominently on their site.
Ecommerce product recommendation engines: how do they work?
Product recommendation engines are a type of artificial intelligence used to recommend items to customers based on their past behavior. These systems analyze customer data and use it to identify patterns and trends. They then use this information to recommend what products or services a customer might be interested in.
Shopify has a huge app store with many different product recommendation apps. Some of these apps are based on artificial intelligence and automatically suggest products to customers based on their browsing and purchase history. Other apps let admins manually select which products should be recommended to customers.
Our favorite product recommendation app on Shopify is a Frequently bought together app by Code Black Belt that allows both variants. Their automated product recommendation feature is top-notch and very accurate in suggesting products. However, we also like that we can manually select products to recommend to customers. This allows us to upsell and cross-sell products in a very targeted way. For example, it can be effectively used for shop-the-look features, where customers can buy all the products used to style a certain look.
What are the benefits of product recommendation engines?
There are many benefits of using a product recommendations engine, including the following:
1. Increased Sales. One of the most obvious benefits of using a product recommendations engine is that it can help to increase sales. By showing customers products that they are likely to be interested in, you can encourage them to make a purchase.
2. Improved Customer Retention. Another benefit of using a product recommendations engine is that it can help to improve customer retention. If customers are able to find products that they love, they are more likely to stick around and continue using your store or website.
3. Reduced Marketing Costs. Another benefit of using a product recommendations engine is that it can help to reduce marketing costs. By showing customers products that they are interested in, you can reduce the amount of money that you need to spend on advertising.
4. Improved Customer Satisfaction. Finally, another benefit of using a product recommendations engine is that it can help to improve customer satisfaction. If customers are able to find products that they love, they are more likely to be satisfied with your store or website.
The impact of product recommendation engines in ecommerce is both significant and far-reaching. By providing personalized recommendations to shoppers, these engines have the potential to increase sales and conversion rates, while also reducing customer acquisition costs.
There is a great deal of evidence to support the positive impact of product recommendation engines in ecommerce. The study by eMarketer found that product recommendations resulted in an average of 70% increase in conversion.
There are several reasons why product recommendation engines can have such a positive impact on ecommerce businesses. First, they provide a personalized shopping experience that can increase conversion rates. Second, they can help businesses to focus on their most profitable customers, and reduce customer acquisition costs. Finally, product recommendation engines can create a sense of loyalty and customer engagement, leading to repeat business and higher customer lifetime value.
Overall, the evidence suggests that product recommendation engines can have a major impact on ecommerce businesses, both in terms of increased sales and profitability. As such, these engines should be given serious consideration by any business looking to improve its performance in the online space.
The List of 12 Ecommerce Product Recommendation Strategies
- Make product recommendations relevant. First and foremost, you need to make sure that your product recommendations are relevant. This means not only being relevant to the products that your customers are looking at on your site, but also being relevant to their interests and needs. The best way to do this is to use customer data to create customer profiles. This way, you can understand what each customer is interested in and what they are likely to buy. You can then use this data to create recommendations that are tailored to each customer.
- Use data to personalize product recommendations. Personalization is key when it comes to product recommendations. Customers want to see recommendations that are relevant to them, and they are more likely to buy from you if they feel that you understand their needs. To personalize your recommendations, you need to use data. This data can come from a variety of sources, including your customer’s browsing and purchase history, their demographic information, and even their social media activity.
- Make sure product recommendations are visible. Your product recommendations need to be visible if you want customers to see them. This means placing them in strategic locations on your website, such as the home page, product pages, and cart page. It’s also important to make sure that your recommendations are easy to find. Use clear and concise labeling so that customers can quickly and easily find the recommendations that they are looking for.
- Use images and videos in product recommendations. Images and videos are a great way to make your product recommendations more engaging. Customers are more likely to click on a recommendation if they can see what the product looks like, and videos can be a great way to show off a product’s features.
- Use positive customer reviews in product recommendations. Customer reviews are a great way to build trust and credibility with your customers. When you use customer reviews in your product recommendations, you are showing your customers that you are confident in the products that you are recommending.
- Use social proof in product recommendations. Social proof is a powerful psychological phenomenon that can have a big impact on your product recommendations. When you use social proof, you are showing your customers that other people have bought and used the products that you are recommending. This can be a great way to increase conversion rates.
- Use scarcity and urgency in product recommendations. Scarcity and urgency are two powerful persuasion techniques that you can use in your product recommendations. When you use these techniques, you are showing your customers that the products that you are recommending are in limited supply and that they need to act fast if they want to buy them.
- Use a call to action in product recommendations. A call to action is a great way to encourage customers to click on your product recommendations. A strong call to action should be clear, concise, and persuasive. It should also be relevant to the product that you are recommending.
- Test, test, test! Testing is essential when it comes to product recommendations. You need to test different recommendations, different placements, different calls to action, and different images to see what works best for your customers.
- Be aware of customer fatigue. Customer fatigue is a real phenomenon that can impact your product recommendations. When customers see the same recommendations over and over again, they can start to tune them out. To avoid customer fatigue, you need to regularly update your recommendations and make sure that they are always relevant.
- Don’t be too pushy. It’s important to strike a balance with your product recommendations. You want to be persuasive, but you don’t want to be pushy. If you are too pushy, you can come across as salesy and customers will be less likely to trust your recommendations.
- Be timely. Your product recommendations need to be timely. This means that you should only recommend products that are currently available.
Product recommendation engines use data such as customer behavior and previous purchases to make recommendations for similar products. This enables you to personalize the shopping experience for your customers, providing them with a more targeted selection of products that are more likely to appeal to their interests.
Product recommendation engines are widely used by ecommerce stores and have been shown to boost sales and customer satisfaction. Implementing a product recommendation engine on your store can help you provide a more personalized shopping experience for your customers and improve your bottom line.
Get started with Shopify product recommendation engines
Shopify’s product recommendation engines are a great way to get started with personalizing your store for your customers. They can help you show your customers products they’re interested in, and they can even help you upsell and cross-sell products.
To get started, you’ll need to choose a product recommendation engine that’s right for your store. There are a few different options available, so be sure to compare them to find the best fit. Once you’ve selected a product recommendation engine, you’ll need to install it on your Shopify store. This process will vary depending on the engine you’ve chosen, but it should be relatively simple. Once the engine is installed, you’ll need to configure it to work with your products. This process will also vary depending on the engine you’ve chosen, but it will typically involve setting up product rules and conditions. Once you’ve configured your product recommendation engine, you’ll need to add it to your shop’s theme. This process will again vary depending on the Shopify app you’ve chosen and might require adding a code snippet into your theme's code. Once you’ve added the product recommendation app to your theme, you’ll need to test it to make sure it’s working properly, and then you’re ready to start using it to personalize your store for your customers.
And if you need professional help, we invite you to be a free strategy call with us.