Shopify is not only a fantastic Ecommerce platform, but it works well for SEO as well. You don't have to have a separate WordPress blog anymore or use shady techniques to do it. Shopify does the heavy lifting for you, but you still need to put in the effort to get your store the boost.
Here is the exact strategy we use to get a massive boost to our client's stores.
1. Optimize your product pages.
Before you write blog posts, ensure your product pages are properly optimized. Here are a few things to watch for:
1. Descriptive product titles and URLs
Product title and URL should be descriptive and contain the product name and type. Here are some good and bad examples:
Descriptive product titles will help Google know what exactly you are selling and match your product page to the user search intent.
Avoid: keyword stuffing is no longer a good idea. Avoid it.
2. Product descriptions
A positive user experience is one of the critical points Google considers when ranking your site. Thus, making sure your product page is easy to read and navigate is essential. Avoid clutter and focus on the user experience. Your product description should include:
- 1-2 sentences or bullet points with the product's benefits
- Product content, care, and warning (e.g., fabric composition, ingredients, what's included in the box, etc.)
- Country of origin
Product description should be simple, to the point, and contain only necessary information.
3. Product images should be of high quality.
High-quality images with contrasting backgrounds help search engines use image recognition technology effectively to match your product in search result recommendations to customer's search intent. Additionally, high quality images make your website look trustworthy which helps with ranking and sales.
You can see a significant boost in Shopify store ranking by optimizing your product pages. This is one of the most crucial SEO steps you should pay attention to.
2. Optimize your existing content.
This is a secret sauce of our SEO strategy for Shopify stores. You will be surprised, but even large brands don't apply this strategy losing a lot of potential traffic and sales. Shopify blogs can rank well and can give an additional boost to your product pages. So, before you start creating new content, go through your existing blog posts and pages in Google Analytics and Google Search Console to see which content:
- Lost in ranking
- Has a stable ranking on the second or first page but not in the top results
After that, you need to review this content and evaluate its quality. Here are the most common issues we see:
- The content is of poor quality
- Keyword stuffing
- Poor formatting, difficult to read
- Outdated content
- Not enough visuals
- Technical issues
Now it's time to improve your content. If you doubt you can produce quality content, you can always hire us or use other writing services.
Important: You want to make sure your content is valuable. Do not create purely SEO content. It is meaningless. And though it might get your traffic, it won't boost your brand authority and sales.
Read how we used this exact content optimization strategy to boost traffic, impressions, and ranking for Bloom Bras here. No time to read, check the stats below 👇
3. Your content should become a part of your funnel
It's a good idea to introduce a unique discount code and a link to the product within the article so that your existing content will become your sales machine.
4. Create new blog posts around your audience's interests and concerns
It's time to create new content! Good quality content that drives traffic and sales should satisfy the following criteria:
- It should concern your customer's interests, worries, and questions.
- Be genuine. If your product is unsuitable for a specific audience, be upfront and recommend an alternative. It's an opportunity to build brand authority and even new business relationships.
- It should be easy to read. Make sure your blog post is well structured, and the language is simple enough so everyone can understand.
- Link back to other relevant articles on your blog and external resources that might be useful.
- Finish your article with a call to action. It can be an invitation to subscribe to the newsletter, discover relevant products or use a discount code.
5. Distribute your content
Now that you have your content ready and optimized, it's time to distribute it to give an initial boost. Some of our favorite distribution methods are:
- Google News
- Facebook and Twitter posts
- Repurpose the content into stories and slides
Pro tip: Submit your Shopify blog sitemap to Google Search Console and Google News.
That's all you have to do! The next step is to monitor your ranking and traffic and implement adjustments when needed. If you need help with content optimization and increasing your website sales, book an intro call with us!